About Me

My photo
Unity Center of Davis is an inclusive spiritual community that honors the many paths to God and helps people of all faiths apply positive spiritual principles in their daily lives.

Monday, January 5, 2009

Journey as Destination

Stay bewildered in God, and only that.
Those of you who are scattered, simplify your worrying lives. There is one righteousness: Water the fruit trees, and don't water the thorns. Be generous to what nurtures the spirit and God's luminous reason-light. - Rumi

On this opening day of 2009, I have been musing about this fresh slate of possibility, called New Year, and asking myself how I might approach life differently this year. What is calling me and where should I put my attention? I can't help but wonder about the state of the world, the economy, the new administration, and what will be the major events that will rock our world, individually and globally, this year. I wonder about Unity Center of Davis, our beloved community that is still an infant, full of possibilities, and yet already endeared to our hearts. What will it offer and ask of us as we nurture its growth and development.

As I mused over the uncertainties, my thoughts turned to new goals for the year. Like many people, I choose the New Year to begin (or resume) positive, healthy practices for my body, mind and spirit. I have a list that is emerging, that I know will help to focus my energy and provide accountability in measureable terms over time. However, I also realize that goals, as worthy as they are to providing measureable results in human terms, are woefully inadequate in spiritual terms. What do I mean?

Goals by definition are achievements that take place at some time in the future. In fact, effective goal setting demands a specific time in the future. While this is effective to attaining a result in the future, it often takes us completely out of the present moment. In other words, the very desirability of some future outcome exalts the future as superior to this moment in time. That focus, of course, takes us right out of God time, the only precious moment in which we can embrace life; embrace ourselves. Besides, we often find getting what we want, in terms of a result or outcome, is fleeting satisfaction, a treasure that loses its luster quickly in the insatiable ego mind that promptly seeks a new jewel beyond the horizon of the present moment.

Now I am not advocating abandoning goal setting practices. It is still valuable to our progress in this world that measures linear accomplishment, but alone, this spiritually limits us. If we are to have a happy new year, our goals must be established in the present moment. In other words, the journey is the destination of the awakened spiritual traveler. When our goal is to embrace every step, every person, every obstacle on the path of our lives we partner with Spirit all the way to and through an uncertain future. When we keep our heart and mind open we encounter infinite possibilities to learn, grow, expand, deepen, and strengthen, along the way. We "water the fruit trees" of the kingdom that is at hand, instead of deferring enjoyment to a later time when goals are attained. While you and I are making goals, God graciously offers its hand of love, peace and joy. If we have the courage to open ourselves, and the patience to be present, we can reconcile our hearts with "what is" before us, take Spirit's hand, and walk mindfully and joyfully into every moment of this New Year.

Anais Nin wrote: "And the day came that the risk it took to be tightly closed in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to bloom." Do you know you can open and bloom right now, where you are, and begin to live life in awe and wonder and gratitude? When you do so, your list of goals will no longer represent what's missing for you. They will be a way of moving forward in time. But you will know that in truth you have already arrived.

No comments: