About Me

My photo
Unity Center of Davis is an inclusive spiritual community that honors the many paths to God and helps people of all faiths apply positive spiritual principles in their daily lives.

Friday, October 28, 2011

"Go For It, or Let it Go?"


Are you ever confused by seeming contradictory truth teachings? For example, there is the go-for-it school which exhorts effort and determination imploring you to believe it, so that you might see it, that you might achieve it --- perish the thought of letting up on faith or effort. Then there is the seeming opposite approach with an equally persuasive mantra extolling passivity and acceptance; telling you to release the outcome, let it all go, and accept life with equanimity, however it shows up. So which is the better way or does one have to be schizophrenic to be spiritually adept? 

I've struggled with this seeming dichotomy at times myself (just the other day, actually) and I realized after some thought that each philosophy has its merits and most importantly its right time and place in a life. The notion of personal will seems central to the question of how I approach a given situation. I am capable of free will in large part, even though I'm often subject to past programming that seems to commandeer my responses at times. Still, mostly I am at choice. I can be willful or willing. I can assert myself, or be witness to another. I can rail against and blame, or have compassion and forgive. I can take the stage, or wait in the wings. I can speak up or listen. I can go for it, or allow it.

Any sense of dichotomy is self inflicted. It's not a question of one way over another as a way of life; not a philosophy for all seasons. It's being sensitive to each moment, going within to discern the wise way that this moment calls for. In this way we can be fluid with what arises, open to give or take, action or patience, assertion or passivity. A joyful life, in which well-being is possible in the face of changing circumstances calls for a supple will that shapes itself to situational demand.  We can seize opportunity, go after it, achieve what seems worthy and right in this world, and we can also find peace and retain well-being if an outcome falls short of expectation. We have the capacity to adapt our will to what is most appropriate in every moment.  I would submit however, that the passive, letting go attitude is perhaps the most difficult.

No comments: