About Me

My photo
Unity Center of Davis is an inclusive spiritual community that honors the many paths to God and helps people of all faiths apply positive spiritual principles in their daily lives.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Not A Problem

I had a profound realization the other day as I flashed on the insight that all my "problems" are self created.  Whoa! How upsetting! How liberating! How can it be, you may ask, that I am the sole author of all my problems?  Simply this.  There are situations in life that can be extreme human challenges, even life threatening, but they are not problems in and of themselves, unless I make them problematic. In other words, situations become problems only after I create a story about the meaning of the situation, or I resist or deny its place in my life.  

For example, I can be physically ill, laid up in bed and out of commission for a time. That's a situation.  Not a problem so far.  However as soon as I create the narrative commentary, such as, "I don't want to be sick," "Why am I sick," or "I can't be sick right now," I have created a "should" - effectively imposing a moral judgment upon my current reality.  Such a "supposed to" annotation cobbled to a life event can become like sacred scripture in my personal philosophy.  So each time I get sick, I go to that "gospel truth" of what should or shouldn't be with a fundamentalist's resolve to interpret life according to the inerrant word of Truth (mine). Ergo, an experience of physical illness becomes "I shouldn't be sick." Ergo, a situation becomes a problem. I wrote the scripture and became a believer, and now I suffer under the weight of its onerous interpretation. 

Author Byron Katie says, the only time we suffer is when we argue with what is.  This is cogent wisdom. So simple. So profound. I may not have caused the situation, but I have full control over my response. If I resist, my situation instantly becomes a "problem."  If I can simply "be with" the situation and suspend judgment I remain connected to my Source, linked to my innate capacity for equanimity, wisdom, even gratitude and joy. Conversely, when I resist life on its terms, I am contracted, fearful, and separate from the divine resources that could truly aid me in my time of challenge.  
 
Having challenges is not a mistake or a sign of failure. Jesus suggested the "isness" of challenges saying "There will be trials and tribulations in your life" Be of good cheer. The Buddha was equal in acknowledging difficulty, referring to the "10,000 joys, 10,000 sorrows." Both wise teachers knew the way out of suffering and taught the miraculous power and effect of being present to life. Jesus taught that the Kingdom of Heaven is "at hand" and "in the midst of you."  Buddha taught "right mindfulness," which accepts everything without judgment or reaction, and brings one back to the present moment.

So this is the really good news of spiritual understanding. Where we are (the present moment) is the portal to what we most want, whether we call it the Kingdom of Heaven, or peace of mind or the City of Joy. It's here, and it's now and it doesn't require a leap of faith in some external doctrine or dogma.  It is your divine abode, your heart of hearts, your most essential self, calling you home to be present with the Presence.   

For the past 6 weeks we have been exploring ways to increase our experience of joy in life.  We've discovered conditions that can foster the experience of joy and well being.  As we conclude this Sunday, we arrive at the beautiful awareness that we can experience joy by simply being.  What a relief to let go of the struggling and striving, the problem solving and enter into the joy of being, here and now.

No comments: